Who does not love dosas or idlis (the South Indian crepes and soft steamed cakes) ??? They go so well with tomato chutney, coconut chutneys and sambar (South Indian Lentil Soup). But have you tried a chana dal chutney with it? If not, this is a must-try healthy chutney to compliment your favorite idlis and dosas!! I call it the Indian Hummus 😀
My mom makes this chutney every time she makes dosas (with or without sambar). I like how simple, yet flavorful this chutneys is, even without coconut!!
Know your nutrients: This is a low calorie, protein dip. Chana dal like most pulses is a good source of proteins for vegetarians, and a complete protein when combined with cereals (rice, wheat etc). Roasted chana dal contains more Iron than regular chana dal because it is usually roasted in iron woks that introduces iron into the dal. Dals (& whole beans) are a good source of Magnesium and Potassium, valued for lowering blood pressure.
Per serving: 44 cals | 2 g protein | 2 g total fat
Time: 5-10 minutes
Ingredients (6 servings)
1/2 cup roasted chana dal (split chickpeas)
1 large clove of garlic
1/4 cup lightly packed cilantro leaves
1 green chili or 1/4 tsp red chili powder
6-8 curry leaves
salt to taste
2 tsp oil
1/8 tsp mustard seeds
a pinch of asafetida
- Blenderize roasted chana dal, garlic, chili/ red chili powder, curry leaves and cilantro leaves with 1/2 cup of water to make a smooth paste. Add additional water (~1/4 cup) & blenderize again, if you prefer less thick.
- Heat oil in a small steel pot. When it is hot enough, but not smoking, add mustard seeds and turn off the heat. After the seeds crackle add asafetida.
- Allow the oil to cool down & then pour the smooth chana dal paste over the oil and mix well. Serve with idlis or dosas, and enjoy!
- You can reserve a few curry leaves and use them for tempering.
- You can even add the red chili powder to the tempering for deeper flavor and color.
- Adjust the spice level by adding less or more chili/ chili powder, per your preference.
RECIPE CARD – PIN IT, SAVE IT, SHARE IT! 🙂